Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by musculoskeletal pain that often affects a large portion of the body at once. This often-debilitating pain may also be accompanied by other symptoms such as fatigue, sleep issues, memory issues, and unexpected mood changes.
What causes fibromyalgia?
Experts believe fibromyalgia is the result of changes in the body’s production of certain chemicals that signal pain. What causes these changes in chemical production is less understood, but some of the most likely factors include:
- Genetics – Fibromyalgia tends to run in families, so it is believed that genetic predisposition plays a significant role.
- Physical trauma – Fibromyalgia often develops after physical stressors such as a serious injury or a bad infection.
- Prolonged emotional stress – Issues such as emotional abuse, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, and depression have all been linked to fibromyalgia onset.
What are symptoms of fibromyalgia?
The primary symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
- Dull, aching pain affecting most of the body
- Fatigue, usually the result of pain interfering with sleep
- Cognitive difficulties, like the inability to focus or pay attention
RELIEVE YOUR PAIN, RENEW YOUR LIFE!